Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Woohoo Rotaract

Hello internet!

I'm not even sure who reads this, but for those of you who are, please let it be known that this is my first blog post. Ever. Exciting, right? (I should probably specify that this is Marie, the VP of the club this year). I've taken on the task to blog every once in a while, to keep you, well, I'm not sure really what I'm exactly trying to do. Entertain/inform/keep you coming back comes to mind...

So for my very first blog post of ever, I figured I'd talk more about what exactly Rotaract is. I don't know about you guys, but most people (myself included many years ago) usually give me a funny look when I mention "Rotaract", and usually guess that it has something to do with wheels when I mention "Rotary" (granted, most people I talk to are engineers).

Hmm I take it back. Today I'm going to tackle Rotary, since they're really where it all starts. Tomorrow, Rotaract!

So Rotary. It is huge. It is a 1.2 million member strong global organisation. The motto is "Service above self". And basically, Rotary takes this to mean many things. Rotarians take part in projects at the local, national and global levels, both volunteering and fundraising.

Rotary International also has many programs that it maintains, including Polio plus, the organisation for which we raised funds at our wine and cheese last week. They also promote international relations and placing people from different backgrounds with similar interests together. This happens through conferences (from national to international levels), as well as (this is applicable to students) exchanges and scholarships.

In short, this is what the official website has to say:
"Members of Rotary clubs, known as Rotarians, provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world."

So here are some numbers:
>1.2 million members
>33,000 clubs
>200 countries
Started in 1905

And PROCRASTINATION SOURCE:
http://www.rotary.org/en/AboutUs/Pages/ridefault.aspx
A video about Rotary that seems to be made by the same people that make those high school science tapes...but it's pretty interesting!

Random fact of the day: The North Pole is not considered a continent like the South Pole because the ice of the North Pole floats on the ocean, while the ice of the South Pole sits on actual ground – the continent of Antarctica.

And back to heat exchangers and pumps I go! TTFN!

PS I like comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome Article, very spontaneous, I like it :D